Monday, June 7, 2010

Amazing Experience

Controversy began early today when we decided to figure out what to bring to the township of Masiphumelele. I figured that since we were going to walk around their streets and take pictures, we could at least bring something to give to their school. Meg and I went to Pick-n-pay to buy a 10kg bag of rice and some milk that they could use. I guess some people thought it would be rude to show up without asking what the people need...but everyone has their own opinions, it was just a little disappointing/aggravating that everyone couldn't join together.
When we drive into Masiphumelele I had a mix of emotions. At first, I was really excited to see the township and school, I wanted to experience what they do on a daily basis. I felt rude that we were driving in on a coach bus and walking around with Northface jackets, Uggs, name brand jeans and backpacks. I was reluctant to take pictures of the houses and people because they do not come to our homes and snap away with their cameras.
We visited the primary school that was only ten years old. The hard part was watching the kids have a blast during their PT time. They were congregated on two areas of black top wearing their school uniform that cost 300 ZAR ($50,) they did not have gym clothes or proper shoes. Across the blacktop was a fenced off area/field that they were not allowed to use because it was too dangerous. The schools dream is to have a sports field, they drew up plans; the field will cost $250,000. Did I mention the kids get 30 minutes of gym each week?
Before we left the school we were able to visit classrooms, this was the highlight of the trip so far! At first the kids were reluctant to meet us, but within five minutes they were pouring out of classrooms to meet us in the hallway. MY sunglasses were a huge hit, every kid wanted to pose with them. At one point I was literally covered by 6 or 7 kids, I needed help by 3 people to get them off me when we had to leave.
I really enjoyed today because the kids were so welcoming. I hate how they need so much and I had nothing to give besides rice and milk. They need shoes, uniforms, pencils, pens, soccer balls, a field, etc. The government has helped with housing, but the $ only goes so far.
Tomorrow we are going to another township where we are all bringing coloring books and lollipops.

No comments:

Post a Comment