Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hiking!!

Went on the best hike of my life...so far!!! Today was amazing, we started at 9:30 and headed up a 750 meter (.46mile) high mountain that overlooked a valley and the ocean. The trail was full of twists and turns that had the occasional look out point. I decided to wear Capri leggings, bad idea, my legs were all marked up from the brush that we had to walk through. I was terrified that I was going to see a snake, but we were lucky and didn't run into any. When we finally made it to the top, after about a two hour hike, the views were unbelievable. Seriously, when you guys see the pictures, your going to think they are backdrops. At the top, our guide Ivan read us a poem and then told us to find a spot about 20feet away from any other person. We had to stay in that spot for an hour and reflect on the poem and think about a couple questions he asked; Is it the journey or the destination that is important? How did the trail reflect your life? I think that the journey is the most important part, the destination is always amazing, but the journey is memorable and made up of many great experiences.
After descending the mountain and looking up at it for the tenth time, we all walked away with a sense of accomplishment and many memories. I'll probably take away the memory of one of the girls talking on the phone for 15 minutes while climbing down the mountain, complaining to her father about how she hates hiking. We also went to see the Penguins at Boulder Beach, there weren't as many as I thought but they were still really cute!!!

Today was probably one of the top five since I've been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment